Recapping 2014 thus far...

It has been a couple of weeks since I've blogged as life has been pretty hectic so far in 2014.  I never shared something with you guys last year that was going on in my life.   My Dad was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in September of 2013.  He started having symptoms of being sick in August.  He had a cough and lost his voice and his energy levels were low, so he thought he might just have some type of cold.   After going to the doctor, they found a tumor in his chest.  Long story short, he started chemotherapy in October and he has been fighting this cancer battle for over 4 months.  He lost the battle just over 2 weeks ago.   It's been a very emotional month so far, but I have ultimately been doing well.  My husband has been amazing and the support of family, friends and the entire community has been unbelievable.  I have to say that it really doesn't feel real yet.  Call it a dream, nightmare, or reality that hasn't settled in yet; but it just feels like he's out of town for a bit...  I know there will be good days and bad days in my future, but I do know that my Dad lived a full and present life.  I am so proud of him and miss him everyday already.   

Dad on his pontoon boat

Me and Dad

The flowers at his funeral were incredible

My brothers and I in front of his casket at his funeral

Dad passed at 11:30pm on Sunday, January 12th and that whole week following was a whirlwind.  We grieved and planned his funeral all at the same time.  We set the funeral for Friday afternoon with a celebration of life to follow that evening.   It was a long day, but we all made it though.  

The Friday before my Dad passed was moving day for Matt and I.  We had our PODS delivered and movers set to help bring everything into our new house.  It all went smoothly and we got things set up the best that we could.  The weekend was bittersweet as we had been waiting for moving day forever, but yet my Dad was sick and not doing very well at home.  

After the funeral, my cousin (best friend/sister/college roomie) stayed with us for a whole week.  She was so unbelievably helpful.  I don't know what I would have done with out her here.  I probably would have crumbled.  Matt had to go back to work and I know I would have been left at home by myself with Brody and probably had multiple breakdowns.  Instead, her and my Mom kept me busy all week long by cooking, cleaning, unpacking and organizing the new house.  It was so much fun to have them here that I really didn't want them to leave.  

Brody with my cousin, Alex

Snuggles before Alex had to head back to NYC

We got a lot accomplished on the house in just one week.  I am glad to have the house as a distraction over the next couple of months.  Although we are already out of boxes, I know it will take awhile to get completely organized and get the house decorated the way we want it.  I promise to share more photos along the way.  If you follow me on instagram (@annieamalone) you've seen the photos I shared below.  

Our Master Bedroom

Brody's Nursery

I hope to resume blogging on a regular basis again.  It's such a nice outlet for me and writing truly is therapeutic.  Thanks for listening and please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers.  


  1. Sending love and prayers your way sweet Annie! Thankful that you've moved into the new house, but I know it is so bittersweet. Hug baby B, cherish your sweet memories, and know tons of people are thinking about you and loving you from near and far. xo

  2. I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    I totally believe blogging can be therapeutic, I'm glad you're back.

  3. I'm so sorry for your loss Annie. I've been thinking about you these past few weeks and you've definitely been missed in blogland. Sounds like God is watching over you and your family during this hard time by sending you some distractions with your new home and sweet cousin. Hang in there. This too shall pass. And Brody looks cuter than ever...love him peeking out in his crib!

  4. I've been following your blog for a little while now. My daughter just turned five months and I've enjoyed watching Brody grow and see what my daughter may be up to in a couple months. My father passed away from cancer when I was 20, about seven years ago. I know what you mean about just feeling lost, like he is out of town. I still feel that way now. I am so sorry for your loss. Hold on to all the happy memories of your father...those will help you keep going. I will keep your family in my prayers.

  5. Annie, my heart broke for you when I saw your post on Instagram. I truly, truly hope that you find peace, as you know, your father has. I know that we're just "blogging friends," but really, if you ever need anything, to vent or whatever...I'm all ears. Your house looks absolutely stunning, and I can't wait to see more of it! Keeping you in my prayers!


  6. “The Friday before my Dad passed was moving day for Matt and I.” – I could imagine how emotional this was for you and your family. But in my opinion, it’s helpful because somehow your mind will be occupied and let you forget the sadness you’re feeling. Also, it’s a good thing your cousin stayed with you for a week. At least unpacking and organizing all of your things became easier.

    Clay @ WorldPackagingCo.com