We're pregnant!!

We found out on Oct. 15th...kind of.  We had gotten off the pill or "pulled the goalie" as my husband likes to say, but on this Monday morning I was not taking this pregnancy test thinking it would be positive.  In fact, Matt had already left for work and I thought I would just take one for fun just so I could mentally move on to the next month.  Well, it turned out that I took 3 that morning.  I took the first one and it came back positive.  I couldn't believe it.  I was in shock.  After I took it, I got in the shower and just took a couple of deep breaths.  I didn't know what to do.

I guess I didn't believe the first one because then I proceeded to take another one.  I got an error on #2 because I didn't pee on the stick long enough.  So then I did exactly what you are not supposed to do and went and chugged a whole bunch of water.  I took test #3 and it came back not pregnant.  I was so confused at this point.  Was I or Wasn't I?? 

My husband works about an hour from where we live.  I didn't know if I should get in my car and go tell him in person or call him up on the phone and tell him exactly what had happened this morning.  I had always envisioned us both being there when I took the test and it was positive that I didn't know what to do now.

Since I wasn't sure if we were pregnant or not, I decided just to call him and tell him what happened.  He was freaking out and hated the uncertainty.  I was pretty sure I had heard that it was very uncommon to get a false positive.  And that it was pretty common to get a false negative.  I took this test several days before my missed period so my HCG levels would definitely be low.  Matt wanted me to call the doctor.  I knew there was nothing the doctor could do that day and all they would tell me was to wait until the next morning and test again.  So that is what we did.

In the meantime, I call my mom to go to lunch with me.  We meet for lunch and I blurt out to her what happened that morning.  She was so excited and giddy, she was ready to leave lunch to go home and take another pregnancy test to confirm the news.  After lunch, I took another test.  It came back negative again.  We knew we had to wait until the next morning, but at this point, that felt like FOREVER away.  

Matt got home that evening and we went to "celebrate" the maybe news at McGuire's that night for dinner.   We went to bed wondering and woke up the next morning, took another test, and celebrated together that it was POSITIVE.  

We were so excited, called the doctor, and scheduled our first appointment to verify the news with a blood test!

1 comment: