2.23.2016

Easy Shrimp and Grits


If you live or have been to the South, then you have definitely seen Shrimp and Grits on a restaurant menu!  I've always loved this entree, but never actually cooked it myself.  I think it was because I thought it was really fattening (heavy cream & sauce) and just never looked up a recipe to cook it.  But this recipe is not that at all.  It has plenty of cheese, don't get me wrong; but it's not cooked with heavy cream or sauce.  Oh, and it does have bacon.  Bacon makes everything better though.  

Give it a try though.  I think you'll really like it.  It's a great dish to make for company too because you can prep everything ahead of time and then the shrimp cook quickly.  


Easy Shrimp and Grits


Ingredients

4 cups water
Salt and pepper
1 cup stone-ground grits (regular grits work fine too!)
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 slices bacon, chopped
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 large clove garlic, minced

Directions

Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.

Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.

Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.



Signature
 photo blue-sig_zps535a57e5.png  photo blue-sig_zps535a57e5.png

10 comments:

  1. I love shrimp and grits, I've just never made it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try making this myself - thank you!! Looks too easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever had Grits before. Might have to give this a try :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shrimp and grits is such an amazing comfort food dish! Heavy on the cheddar cheese and bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely going to try this!
    -Kristen
    www.pugsandpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrimp and grits is usually so sinful I never order it! But I can definitely get behind this recipe! Yum!! Make today work, Rachel -CubicleCouture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shrimp & grits is a staple in the south!! I have never made it myself but I will definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering. I have only had this at restaurants, and never thought to make it myself. Definitely need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMMM Shrimp & Grits is my absolute fave! We had a Shrimp & Grits bar at our wedding!! So delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite dishe. I use to think it was difficult too, until I made it. Now I'm hooked. I do believe my recipe is exactly like yours from the Food Network. I have experimented with other recipes, this one is still the keeper. Makes me want to make some right now.

    ReplyDelete