6.17.2014

Taste of Tuesday : Pan Fried Snapper + Bacon Wrapped Asparagus + Crispy Gnocchi


Today I'm sharing the meal we cooked for our guests this passed Friday night.  Everyone on the Gulf Coast is in crazy fishing mode right now because Snapper season is only 9 days long this year.  It's a short season, so we have to enjoy our snapper while we can!!

I was really excited about everything I had planned to cook for the evening.  I had seen the gnocchi recipe earlier this week on Katie Elizabeth's blog  and knew I wanted to cook it.  Unfortunately, I was lacking a main ingredient (zucchini), so I had to substitute it with something else and it still turned out delicious.  I used some portabello mushrooms I had in the fridge and it was so yummy!! 

Here's the scoop:


Pan Fried Snapper

This one really isn't a recipe, but we had 4 filets of Snapper and I soaked these in a bowl of lemon water for about 30 minutes while I prepped some other food.   I took all the filets and sprinkled Tony's, Salt&Pepper, and then rolled them in some flour.   

I put a very generous portion of olive oil in a skillet over medium to high heat and placed the filets in the skillet.  Depending on the size of your filets, you may need 4-6min or so per side.  

I stuck them under the broiler for just a minute too after I took them off the skillet to get them nice and browned on the outside! 

I apologize for the terrible picture quality :-/



Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus
[adapted from green bean bacon bundles]

serves 4, is easily multiplied

1 bunch of asparagus, about 20-25 spears, stems removed
4 slices thick-cut bacon
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together oils, brown sugar and garlic. Set aside.

Bunch together 5-6 asparagus spears and tightly wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place on the wire rack seam-side down and repeat. Using a pastry brush, a spoon or even your hands (I did this…), brush the spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Give each bundle a hefty sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.



Crispy Gnocchi with Mushrooms, Sweet Corn & Basil
{adapted from Iowa Girl Eats}
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
16oz packaged gnocchi
1-1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 package of mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 small onion, chopped
salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves
8 leaves basil, chopped & divided
1/4 cup half & half
2 Tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi then spread in one layer and saute undisturbed for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Toss then continue sauteing for 3-4 more minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Remove skillet from heat then set aside.

Meanwhile, heat butter in another large skillet then add mushrooms, corn, and onion, and then season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes, then add chopped garlic and half the basil, and then saute for 30 more seconds. Remove skillet from heat then add half & half and parmesan cheese, and stir to combine. Pour mixture into skillet with gnocchi then toss to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary then serve topped with remaining chopped basil.


Happy Eating!!!

Signature
 photo blue-sig_zps535a57e5.png  photo blue-sig_zps535a57e5.png

10 comments:

  1. Yum to everything above!! This is my kind of meal. We eat a ton of fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not even 10 AM and my mouth is watering!! Seriously the Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you loved the gnocchi recipe!! And I was hoping you would share the rest of your meal recipe -- it looks sooo good! My husband will l.o.v.e. those bacon wrapped asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look so amazing! I have yet to try to make snapper but I will definitely need to give it a go! Have a great week love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks so good! I'd love to try to make that snapper. We're always looking for new ways to eat asparagus. Can't wait to try all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, yum. You know I love gnocchi -- I may have to give this variation a try asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the GC right now - I have to go get some snapper!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I need to try that snapper recipe- sounds so good and I know my husband would love the asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything sounds incredible, especially that gnocchi!

    ReplyDelete