3.12.2013

Weekend Recap - Ready for St. Patty's Day!

We had a fun weekend home in Pensacola.  Our wedding planner and photographer from New Orleans came into town on Friday night and joined us for dinner and then Saturday morning they were actually photographing the McGuire's 5K.  This is the 2nd year in a row they have done this.  Last year, they came in town this same weekend and shot Matt and I's engagement photos in Pensacola and then did the race on Saturday.  This year, it was a gorgeous day and while Kevin was photographing the race, we walked it.  They had almost 17,000 runners this year.  It was a huge turnout.  They serve green beer and diesel fuels after the race is over and its just one huge party. 


The crowd after the race listening to the band.
The start of the race.

The race on Saturday got me into the St. Patrick's day spirit.  Matt and I were cooking dinner at home on Sunday night and I decided to whip up this beauty for dessert.  It is a chocolate bundt cake with vanilla icing and mint M&M's. 

I actually got the recipe from here.  She just so happens to be the bachelor, Sean Lowe's, sister.  She not only writes the food blog, but she also has a blog of her own that she does some bachelor recaps on that you can read here

Here's the recipe:

 Shopping List
1 box of chocolate cake mix
2 small boxes of instant chocolate pudding {I used pistashio pudding because that's what I had in my pantry}
1/2 cup of veggie oil
1 1/4 cups water
4 eggs
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 can vanilla frosting {I had to google a quick recipe for vanilla frosting because I didn't have a can}
green food coloring
Mint M&Ms or Andes Mints 
Green sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease (I use Pam) a 10 inch bundt pan or 12 mini bundt pans.
In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water and eggs with an electric mixer.  Mix in peppermint extract.   Pour into prepared bundt pan.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean for a large bundt cake or 16 to 18 minutes for mini cakes.
Let cake rest on counter in pan 10 minutes. Then, invert cake onto serving plate to finish cooling.
 Add a few drops of green food coloring to your vanilla frosting (you could even add another teaspoon of extract if you really wanted your cake minty).
Frost your cake(s) with your green frosting and garnish with Mint M&Ms and green sprinkles.


It turned out pretty darn good!  I actually didn't love the mint M&M's.  If you can find just plain green chocolate M&Ms, I think that would taste better. 

Last year I was celebrating St. Patricks Day in Las Vegas for my bachelorette party and this year I will be celebrating it in St. Petersburg, FL for my brother's wedding.  I absolutely can't wait!! What are you planning for St. Patrick's Day this year???

No comments:

Post a Comment